SENIOR ADVISER (PLANNING AND RURAL AFFAIRS)
WHAT’S THE JOB? SENIOR ADVISER (PLANNING AND RURAL AFFAIRS)
WHO’S THE EMPLOYER? The National Farmers Union champions British farming and provides professional representation and services to its Farmer and Grower members. It is the largest farming organisation in the UK, providing a strong, respected and independent voice for the industry. It's head office is at Stoneleigh Park in Warwickshire, but it also has offices in London, Brussels, Wales, all the English regions and a unique network of local offices and advisers, co-funded by the NFU Mutual, to support the needs of its members locally, nationally and internationally. The NFU was founded in 1908 and is financed by members' subscriptions. They are not affiliated to any political party and have a completely democratic structure.
WHAT’S THE INDUSTRY? POLICY SERVICES - MEMBERSHIP ASSOCIATION
HOW WILL I BE REWARDED? Competitive Package for the right candidate
WHERE IS THE ROLE LOCATED? Warwickshire, Midlands, UK
TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE ROLE? Do you want to be part of one of the most effective and respected trade associations in Britain which are steeped with history, national recognition and success? The NFU has made representations on behalf of farmers and growers in England and Wales on many laws we abide by today including the Agricultural Act 1947, Pesticide Regulations 1986, Reform of the Common Agricultural Policy 2003 and many more. Your role will be to support the Senior Rural Surveyor in communicating legislation, policy and practice relevant to rural surveying. You will provide high-quality expert advice to members, staff, the NFU Officeholders, Directors, and Boards, with your main areas of responsibilities and duties:
- Lead NFU activity (policy development, representation and member guidance) on planning and rural affairs to maximise opportunities for farm business to become more profitable and productive
- Ensure relevant policy developments are communicated promptly and clearly to NFU members, NFU staff and NFU Officeholders
- Seek to maximise the NFU's influence on Defra, DCLG, DCMS, national stakeholders and local planning authorities on planning and rural affairs issues
LEVELS OF AUTHORITY
- Lead the NFU’s policy development representation on planning policy and the delivery of rural development measures, including broadband
- Deliver strategic guidance and support in the post holder’s responsibilities for the NFU’s regional operations as agreed with the Chief Economic Adviser and Head of Policy Services. To ensure that the NFU’s objectives are incorporated into the development of rural policy initiatives
- To support and coordinate Regional work on identified rural policy issues
- To keep up to date with changes to national planning policy and to review and communicate how any changes will impact on farm businesses
- To ensure that relevant responses to government consultations on planning and rural connectivity are completed to deadline
WHAT QUALITIES DO I NEED?
- Degree level or equivalent: planning, rural economy or surveying
- Knowledge of government, regulators and advice structures
- Experienced with influencing senior policy decision makers
- Evidence of influencing key policy
- High standard of communication and confidence (presentation skills)
- IT Proficient
- Driving licence essential
WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW?
In the first instance, please forward a copy of your current CV in confidence to the lead Consultant James at JP Trett firstname.lastname@example.org, all successful candidates will be contacted within 14 days of your application being received.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL THIRD PARTY CV’S WILL BE REFERRED BACK TO JP TRETT LTD WHO HAVE BEEN APPOINTED BY NFU ON A RETAINED BASIS TO HANDLE THEIR EXTERNAL RECRUITMENT.
JP Trett specialises in Agricultural Recruitment, Horticultural Recruitment and Fresh Produce Recruitment. With generations of credibility, confidentiality and success within the Agri-business profession we understand these industries and the complexities of the roles within them. If you are seeking a new exciting career in Agricultural, Horticultural, Rural and Fresh Produce businesses, or you are looking to recruit the cream of the crop, JP Trett aims to succeed in satisfying your needs. From Agronomy Managers to Sales Managers, Farm Directors to Sales Directors we are Agricultural Recruitment.