Regenerative Agriculture Farm Manager
JOB TITLE: Regenerative Agriculture Farm Manager
EMPLOYER: Bradford Farming LLP
LOCATION: Weston-under-Lizard, Shropshire
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
This is an exciting opportunity for a driven, motivated individual to join an ambitious farming business to execute its strategic plan to create a market leading agribusiness on our 1500Ha arable farm located near Telford, Shropshire. In conjunction with the Senior Management Team, Agronomist and Agri-Consultant, the individual will be responsible for delivering the business objective of establishing an in-hand arable operation based on sustainable farming systems thereby creating the largest regenerative farm in the West Midlands. Although practical experience of regenerative agriculture is preferable, it is not essential provided the individual is open minded as well as willing to learn and work with the wider team.
The business aims to become a centre of farming excellence through working with local as well as national educational and research institutions to help advance the understanding of sustainable farming systems and practices. The individual is expected to actively work with these organisations to deliver this.
The business is actively reviewing opportunities to integrate additional enterprises to complement the core arable operation, which will likely involve livestock. Whilst dedicated staff with the necessary skill sets and knowledge will be employed to work on these enterprises, the individual will have overall responsibility for them and the enterprise. Experience of livestock is therefore desirable but not essential.
The individual will need to ensure effective planning, organisation of day to day farming operations and strong leadership of the operational farming team. Whilst there is a strategic farm plan in place, the individual will be expected to produce annual business plans setting out the strategic, day to day and practical aims as well as objectives of the farm for the particular harvest year. They will have budgetary responsibility for a substantial business and will therefore need to demonstrate aptitude as well as experience of this.
In terms of day to day management, the individual will be supported by a farm administrator based in the Estates Office, an Agronomist and Agri-Consultant as required. The individual will report to the Estates Director. In addition to a competitive salary, discretionary bonus and pension, a house, four-wheel drive vehicle, IT equipment and mobile telephone will be provided.
The following list of duties and responsibilities is by no means exhaustive. It should be taken as an indicator of the type and level of activity expected of this position. The list does not represent either priorities or frequency of tasks and will be updated as necessary by the Senior Management Team in consultation with the individual.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To formulate annual farm policy and business plan for approval by the Senior Management Team.
- To implement the annual farm policy and business plan.
- Prepare annual enterprise budgets as well as cashflow projections and to report on them at regular farm meetings with the Senior Management Team.
- Prepare capital work budgets relating to infrastructure investment as necessary to include grain storage, irrigation and farm buildings and oversee the works in conjunction with the Senior Management Team.
- Prepare annual cropping strategies and plans with the Agronomist.
- Liaise and negotiate with third party Licensees as required.
- Undertake practical field work to a high standard.
- Market crops in accordance with an agreed crop marketing strategy.
- Source all inputs for the farm ensuring best value is achieved.
- To establish and then manage a ‘Machinery Replacement Policy’ with responsibility for machinery purchase, maintenance and sales.
- To undertake day to day line management of staff including recruitment, appraisals and training in conjunction with Bradford Estates.
- To implement and monitor all necessary Health and Safety policies and to ensure compliance with these and all Codes of Practice on the farm, maintaining and demonstrating best practice by all staff at all times.
- Submission of existing rural grant claims (BPS, HLS, CSS) as required and all new applications, such as ELMs.
- Adhere to all necessary legislation and regulations relating to Bradford Farming LLP.
- Maintain all records and data as required for internal and external use as well as to set and review KPIs.
- Maintain awareness of industry updates and attend conferences and training events as required to ensure that sufficient CPD and individual knowledge is maintained.
- Work with third parties to support and promote research and teaching on the farm including students and other professional organisations.
- Act as liaison between the local community and Bradford Estates for all matters relating to Bradford Farming LLP and to attend local stakeholder meetings and events as required.
- To act as an ambassador for Bradford Farming LLP at local and national events and to actively promote the business as a centre of excellence for farming practices and research.
- Take part in Bradford Estates’ events as required.
- Work with the Senior Management Team to ensure the continued integration of Bradford Farming LLP with the wider Estate.
- Work with Bradford Estates and third parties on opportunities relating to natural capital, carbon and water management.
- Oversee additional enterprises once established.
- To have good IT and communication skills and attention to detail.
- Update and contribute to Bradford Farming LLP social media accounts as required.
- Identify new opportunities to sell the farm’s outputs and produce at premium prices.
- Advise on the appropriateness to the business of new and emerging niche or specialist crops.
In addition to the main duties and responsibilities detailed above the following individual attributes are considered essential for this role:
- Ability to work with people of all levels, ages, gender and sexual orientation
- Helpful and enthusiastic
- Highly Motivated
- Inspirational with good leadership skills
- Sense of humour
DEADLINE DATE: Friday 16th October 2020
Contact Lizzie Ward
To apply for this role, or for more information, please click the Apply Button.