Farm Manager – Goodwood Estate
An exciting opportunity has arisen at Goodwood Home Farm, which lies nestled within England’s greatest sporting estate.
Home Farm is an integral part of Goodwood, which has become renowned for its thrilling motorsport and horseracing events, including the Festival of Speed, the Qatar Goodwood Festival and the Goodwood Revival. The 12,000-acre estate also includes four restaurants, two 18-hole golf courses, a culture park, a private members’ club, an aerodrome, a health club, a lovely country hotel and a 10-bedroom sporting lodge
Home Farm is one of the largest lowland organic farms in the UK and has been fully organic since 1996. Good soil health is vital to the nutrition of livestock and plants and we work closely with the Soil Association to ensure our soil is in optimal condition. We farm without pesticides or fertilisers so that nature is allowed to take its course and the wildlife, hedgerows and centuries-old ecosystems are protected and able to thrive.
All our animals are born and reared at Goodwood, which means not only are we able to properly care for them throughout their lives, we can also provide them with the best possible diet. Most of our 3,800-acre arable farm land is used to produce organic fodder for animal feed, which is balanced with home-grown forage used during the winter months. Our meat is butchered on site by John, our Master Butcher, ensuring zero food miles. Goodwood is as near to a completely closed system as possible.
Much of our food is produced on the farm and includes milk, dairy products (including soft and hard cheeses) and beef, lamb and pork, including award-winning sausages, bacon and burgers. We supply all of the restaurants across estate as well as local shops and coffee houses and top London restaurants.
We are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Farm Manager who will be responsible for the day-to-day operation of Home Farm, ensuring its smooth, profitable and efficient growth
Outstanding communication skills are required to deliver our short- and long-term plans at both a strategic and tactical level. You will develop and maintain strong working relations with key stakeholders within Entertainment & Hospitality, dairy processing, cheese room, the butchery and with our Event Catering Manager.
As an ambassador and custodian of both the farm and its livestock, you’ll inspire, coach and develop our experienced farm team. Leading by example, you will be responsible for the financial and physical performance of the farm.
You will also play a pivotal role in ensuring that we deliver on time and to the right specification with top-quality products.
This role includes rent-free Accommodation.
What you’ll need:
- A genuine belief in the organic farming system
- An in-depth understanding of the latest Government farming legislation and how it affects the farm strategy
- Proven relevant experience in animal husbandry
- Strong people management experience
- Extensive experience of managing a farm or in a position of Livestock/Dairy Manager or equivalent
- Experience in crop production, especially malting barley
- HND or equivalent in agriculture
- Knowledge of budgeting and cost control
- Full driving licence, telehandler and AI certification
- Excellent communicator and team player
What you’ll get:
A competitive package, which will include:
- Accommodation free of rent with 1/2 council tax paid. This will be located close to the farm and just 10 minutes from Chichester
- A company pension with employer contributions
- Discounted products from across the estate
- Free gym and health club membership
- A health cash plan and access to a comprehensive wellbeing package
To apply for this role, or for more information, please click the Apply Button.