- Based: Wales / Shropshire Border – Bronington
- Full time
- £competitive + benefits
Maelor Forest Nurseries is located at Fields Farm, Bronington on the Welsh Borders. The nursery is part of the BSW Timber Group Limited and produces an extensive range of commercial forestry and native broadleaf species, marketing approximately 28 million trees a year to customers throughout the UK and Europe. We are in the development stages of establishing a significant nursery operation in Scotland.
Maelor is going through an exciting phase of growth with a new senior management team in a sector which is at the forefront of the countries solutions to climate change and the environment.
We also lead the UK in developing trees of the future through our scientific research and applied science in the areas of somatic embryogenesis and vegetive propagation at our science laboratories at Maelor.
We are seeking to appoint an experienced Agronomist to lead our Agronomy team and work closely with our nursery managers and staff to ensure we raise crops to the highest standard of quality for our customers.
About the Role
If you are successful you will ensure that we deliver high quality crops on an intensive, large scale, while commercially sustainable within strict parameters of cost and time. You will work closely with Nursery Managers to advise on the right crop treatment regimens as part of a varied job role which will include:
- Leading our Agronomy team to ensure that we effectively monitor the growth of all of our crops.
- Plan plant protection and nutrition of crops.
- Develop and deliver field trials for pesticides and other crop treatments.
- Manage our Vegetative Propagation process and work closely with our Science R & D team to take their work on Somatic Embryogenesis into production at scale.
- Understand the legislative requirements and ensure that we comply with the latest regulations in relation to plant treatments.
- Work closely with the other parts of the business to input into our long-term planning process.
Our successful candidate must have a BASIS Qualification as well as a degree in a forestry/agricultural or similar subject. You must also have experience of managing and monitoring Agronomy on an intensive large scale in an agricultural/horticultural setting. Any experience of commercial growing in a forest nursery environment will also be an advantage.
In return, we offer an attractive salary and benefits package, plus first-class opportunities for personal and career development within our expanding nursery operations.
Interested? Then please use the APPLY button to email your CV and cover letter, clearly stating the position you are applying for.
Closing date: 14th April 2021
The Company’s Job Applicant Privacy Notice is available on our company website.