We at KWS UK Ltd. are looking to recruit at the earliest opportunity an Oilseed Rape Trials Technician for a full-time, permanent position, based in Thriplow near Cambridge. As part of the Trials and Farms Team you will be involved with yield trials and other plant breeding operations essential for the successful development of new varieties.
Reporting to the Trials Manager your main responsibility will be leading the Oilseed Rape Trial and Breeding Nursery Operations.
For Yield Trials this will involve:
- Liaising with Plant Breeders on their trial requirements.
- Planning, preparing and drilling of Oilseed Rape trial plots.
- Vermin control and protection of trial plots.
- Plot scoring and data collection.
- Setting up of trials onto KWS database systems.
- Timely harvest of trial plots.
- Presentation of statistically analysed data to the breeders.
For Breeding Nurseries this will involve:
- Producing high quality breeding nurseries of Oilseed Rape made up of plants both drilled as seed or raised in the glasshouse and then transplanted.
- Irrigation, erecting structures for vermin control and pollen barriers as well as managing insect pollination techniques.
- Overseeing the seed harvest and returning the seed to the breeders according to their set out timescales.
- Supervision and training of casual and student staff in tasks required to complete your work.
Up to 50% of your time will also be taken up with supporting other trial and field operation tasks and these would include:
- Tractor and Combine Harvester driving.
- Support to other members of the trials team with yield trials of Cereal and Root crops.
- Experience with arable crops and a driving license are required.
- Agricultural or similar University/College education.
- PA 1 and 11, Counterbalance forklift and telehandler licenses are essential for the job role (willingness to join training if skills are not possessed yet).
- Tractor driving skills and PA2 would be advantageous.
- Trustworthiness, reliability, good team leadership skills and a high level of motivation.
- Good literacy, numeracy and knowledge of Microsoft Excel are required and knowledge of databases would be beneficial.
- Desire to take on areas of responsibility and progress your career.
- Good team-work, communication and organization skills as well as flexibility.
- Willingness to work extended hours during harvest, drilling and other peak periods.
Let's peek at how you can grow your well-being, health, and future at KWS!
- 30 days of annual leave plus bank holidays
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme with 16% Company contribution and 1.2% minimum employee contribution
- Private Health Care Plan, Membership of Lifestyle Scheme and Life Assurance, of three times annual salary
- Income Protection Plan at 75% of salary for long-term illness and disability for a period of three years
- Profit Related Bonus Scheme, up to 10% of annual salary
Would you like to develop your potential and grow at KWS? Then we look forward to receiving your application (cover letter, resume and relevant references) via our online portal!