We wish to appoint a keen, hardworking individual to join our busy Cambridge Regional Centre. The role will focus on agrochemical application and harvesting operations across a wide range of crops in field trials as well as commercial cropping. The dedication of the team combines experience and local knowledge to manage crops and services across a range of environments, soil types and crop rotations. Good team and inter-departmental working are key to our successful operations.
As a Sprayer Operator/Combine Driver your key duties include:
• Carrying out agrochemical applications on a wide range of agricultural / horticultural trials and commercial cropping using a 24m SAM Horizon self-propelled sprayer and Trimble GPS.
• Carrying out commercial and plot combine harvesting operations.
• Carrying out agricultural operations including cultivations, drilling, fertiliser application and irrigation.
• Machinery maintenance on a wide range of standard agricultural machinery and specialist trials equipment.
The role will not be limited to these duties, and you will be required to carry out a range of other associated work activities delivered by the centre, some of which can be physically demanding. The day-to-day work will be on trial plots as well as commercial cropping. Essential training will be provided if necessary.
Salary: Competitive salary depending on skills, experience, and qualifications
Working hours: 37 hour working week, along with paid overtime at x1.5 hourly rate
• Experience in Agriculture, Horticulture or Field trials
• Pesticide application certificates - PA1, PA2, PA6 and NRoSO registered.
• A good working knowledge of agricultural practices
• Use and maintenance of agricultural equipment
• Microsoft office e.g. Word and Excel
• Attention to detail
• Forklift and Tractor driving certificates
• ATV (All-Terrain Vehicle) certificates
• Working knowledge of tractor Global Positioning System (GPS)
• BASIS and FACTS registration
• An understanding of agricultural trials
A full UK driving licence is essential as travelling to trials our other sites across the Cambridgeshire region and occasionally to our other centres around the UK is required. Transport can be provided from the Cambridge office to our various sites.
You must have the Right to work in the UK.
NIAB is a leading UK centre for plant science, crop evaluation and agronomy, delivering work from its regional network and headquarters in Cambridge. Our field crop research and impartial information is used widely by the agricultural and horticultural community.
NIAB actively promotes equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society. As a Disability Confident Employer we have a positive approach to employing people living with a disability.
The role is based at NIAB Headquarters, Cambridge CB3 0LE. Occasionally working with other teams across the Regional Centre around the UK which may involve staying away from home.
Cambridge Headquarters site: https://www.niab.com/about/locations/cambridge
Benefits include 25 days’ holiday plus public holidays and 3 days off during the Christmas period, flexible working, generous sick pay, attractive pension scheme, income protection, life assurance, employee discount scheme, free on-site parking and great colleagues.
Informal enquiries are welcome, please email Jack Scotney: email@example.com
Click the ‘Apply’ button or visit our website: www.niab.com/careers for further details and to apply directly. Any questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call Human Resources on 01223 342282.
You can also apply for this role by clicking the Apply Button
Closing date: 26 November 2023.
Interview date: w/c 4 December 2023.